Sunday, October 25, 2009

A Sweet Little Rascal

The fall colors are here!
Look Mommy! A squirrel!

Ella and Anson enjoying a cup of hot chocolate







Ella has been in a "big girl bed" for about a month now and she loves it! It took about a week for her to get used to it... one night I heard a muffled cry at about two in the morning and she had actually fallen asleep with her head under the bed and woke up and freaked out! Now, when I go to bed I look in to make sure she is in bed and not under it! A couple times I have found her on the floor beside the bed or kneeling, with just her upper body on the bed. Funny! So going to sleep in the toddler bed is going well, however when she wakes up and decides to roam around her room, she usually gets into mischief. Just when I think I have removed every potential mess-maker from her reach she finds (or invents) something new! One day she used her rocking horse as a stool to reach the baby powder and diaper cream. Her room smelled like a clean baby's bottom! But then came last Sunday... I opened the door to find that she had taken off her poopy diaper and walked through it!!!! YUK!!!! I just stood there in silence, not knowing where to begin! She had literally walked all over her room on her nice cream colored carpet. So I threw her in the tub and when she was clean I started working on the room. Dusty and I were runnning around cleaning when we realized that she had disappeared again... this time, with her new-found stealth abilities, she had pulled a stool up to the kitchen counter, opened up a new box of hot chocolate and helped herself to a couple packets. She, the counter, and the floor were covered in chocolate dust! So back to the tub went Ella as her mother slowly went insane! This all happenned in a matter of minutes! She has a gift of making messes! And she does it with the cutest smile on her face. She has taken this two-year-old stage to a new level for our family. I don't think Anson ever did anything like this. So for now, all stools are out of reach and Ella is watched like a hawk. I really comtemplated placing a bell on her neck because she just sneaks around so quietly. She also does really sweet things like asking to kiss "Mommy's baby" every night before bed, wrapping up her baby dolls in a blanket and telling us to be quiet because they are sleeping, saying thank you all the time without having to be reminded, and giving hugs and kisses when you least expect it. So she's a sweet little rascal indeed and we can't imagine life without her!

5 comments:

Chad & Amber said...

Oh, Arin! How funny, you handled all those meses well! I think I better get myself ready for that stage. Ella is such a joy! I can just picture her with her little smile...:-)

Choate Family said...

Our "sweet little rascal" loves to sneak outside. When we can't find her, we all have our assignments to check and find her. Isn't two a lovely age? We laugh so much because of our sweet K!

Keidi said...

Often I just have to repeat to myself: "You're two, you're two, this is developmentally appropriate, you're two..." because otherwise I freak out about how much more work certain individuals at our house cause me. Arg! I'm impressed you surveyed the mess without saying anything, I need to work on keeping my mouth shut. 8) It will pass, right?

Brittany @ The Rollins World said...

Oh my word! I could not stop laughing when Dusty was telling Jared and I this on the phone! And I laugh, but I know it's going to be me taking care of messes like that soon enough! I still have Charlotte trapped in her crib and plan to keep her there for a little while longer... as long as she doesn't try climbing out!

But that smile of Ella's... enough to melt anyone's heart :)

Unknown said...

Beware the quiet child. This reminded me of Andrew who is so sweet and quiet but caused so many surprises and messes. Isn't terrible how the funniest stories are the worst ones to live through, especially when they involve diapers.